Egrets and the Bulbul

It was almost like a competition between the egrets and the red whiskered bulbul (medium-sized passerine songbirds). My wife noticed the egrets on our neighbor’s roof. There have been quite a few egret sightings after the last one that I caught on camera. On this day, there were three of them busy picking up something to eat on our neighbor’s roof. It seemed like they were really enjoying their evening snacks. Not sure but we think these guys are Little Egrets (Egretta garzetta).

After around 5-10 shots I saw a Red-whiskered Bulbul on a television cable, whistling away to glory as if to draw my attention. Since it was too far, I couldn't get a good picture even after using the complete 6X zoom of our Canon A710 IS digital camera. So, I ignored the little bird and started capturing a few more photographs of the egrets. All of a sudden the Bulbul came very close to our window and sat on the television cable long enough to allow me to click two close-up shots. In one of the photos it was looking right at the camera.

All in all it was a very good day for Bird Photography.  |  Camera Critters

48  comments :

  1. nice pics... loved the first one of the egret and the second one of the bulbul....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous captures as always! I've never seen a Bulbul before! What a lovely bird! And the Egrets are beautiful! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photos of the birds at play the colours are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are a beautiful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. terrific captures. happy skywatching and bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those shots are beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kc: Those are some neat bird captures. The Egrets remind me of "Fiddler on the Roof".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I have not seen that Red-whiskered Bulbul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, the first fella at the top sure seemed to have a lot to say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am an avid bird watcher(the feathered variety) but can never get their names right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree, great shots. how i wished i could come closer at the herons visiting our little farm:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent series of photos. I love to bird watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid photos! Each one captures the varied activities of the birds! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi thanks for dropping by On This Side of Town

    it just owed me... we don't have these birds around my area.. awesome captures..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just had to go to Wikipedia to find out about the red-whiskered Bulbul because its shape and its crest remind me so much of the Steller's Jay, the provincial bird of my home province, British Columbia.
    However, the Latin names seem to have nothing in common although I think the birds would look very similar in silhouette.
    Your photos are beautiful. I love the first one and the third one.

    Kay
    Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love the sight of egrets. These sloos great with the dark background. The other bird I have never seen I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The egrets are beautiful - I used to see them when I lived on Long Island.
    However, never saw them on a roof before! Looking up at them makes
    an unusual and interesting composition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely shots. Looks like you're a professional photography.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots,

    We really loved the bulbul. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, they're so lovely! I love your shots! I never see a real Egret.

    My Camera Critters here

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the Bulbul's hair-do or is that feather-do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You certainly captured some lovely bird photos today. Thanks for stopping by to comment on my chickadee photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bulbul is very unusual - never seen one before. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so lucky to have these beautiful birds right there in your vicinity. The brilliant red on the bulbul is incredible, just that little splash! The egrets are so graceful.

    Check this link for info on my one year blogaversary giveaway!
    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2010/09/flash-55-friday-happy-anniversary-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done here! I really like the white on red and black... such trendy colors. And how sweet of the bulbul to want your attention. Rather reminds me of the guys I saw on my hike today who kept whispering, "picture, picture"... while I was interested in the foliage... :-D Lovely captures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are so cooperative with you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The shots of Little Egret are nicely posed against the dark background. I saw lots in Goa (5 visits) and also saw many Red-whiskered Bulbuls - common but beautiful birds indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Bulbul obviously thought you were concentrating too much on the Egrets and not enough on him so flew over closer for a quick pose for you. Well done for capturing the moment they are beautiful birds.

    Eye of a Camera Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aren't these guys beautiful?! Awesome captures!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning shots...Love it :)
    Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic pictures. You are a talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such graceful birds. The egrets look as if they are dancing! Thanks for your visit to my blog. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful images, but reading all your comments I think you already know that!
    Yes, in the first one the bird is dancing!
    Great!
    Best regards from Romania
    wind

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your bird photos! Nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow! what a great post and captures!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic shots of the egrets and bulbul. They are amazing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heisann!

    Very beautiful birds, but unknown to me, of course ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so wonderful, I love the first one! And I have voted for you:-)

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your views about the photos